By Mary Ellen Miller
Мифы, верования и культура древней Мезоамерики (майя, ацтеки, тольтеки)
»The Gods and logos of historical Mexico and the Maya» is the first-ever English-language dictionary
of Mesoamerican mythology and faith. approximately three hundred entries, from accession to yoke, describe the most gods
and symbols of the Olmecs, Zapotecs, Maya, Teotihuacanos, Mixtecs, Toltecs, and Aztecs.
Topics variety from jaguar and jester gods to reptile eye and rubber, from production bills and sacred areas
to ritual practices akin to bloodletting, confession, dance, and pilgrimage.
Read or Download An illustrated dictionary of the gods and symbols of Ancient Mexico and the Maya PDF
Best american studies books
'A significant other to American Studies' is a necessary quantity that brings jointly voices and scholarship from around the spectrum of yankee experience.
• a set of twenty-two unique essays which supplies an remarkable advent to the "new" American reports: a comparative, transnational, postcolonial and polylingual discipline
• Addresses quite a few matters, from foundations and backgrounds to the sphere, to assorted theories of the “new” American reports, and concerns from globalization and know-how to transnationalism and post-colonialism
• Explores the connection among American stories and allied fields corresponding to Ethnic stories, Feminist, Queer and Latin American Studies
• Designed to impress dialogue and support scholars and students in any respect degrees advance their very own ways to modern American experiences
Within the decade following the tip of worldwide warfare I, the U.S. rose to its present seat because the major global superpower matched by means of an rising cultural dominance that will come to represent the second one half the 20th century. American tradition within the Nineteen Twenties is a fascinating account of the foremost cultural and highbrow traits that have been pivotal to the decade's characterization as "the jazz age.
The Washington Monument
The pyramid at the $1 bill
The cranium and Bones Society at Yale collage
Common American icons--or mystery symbols? From our founding fathers to our so much prestigious associations, it is a state outfitted on such mystery symbols, rites, and rituals. So fail to remember the textbook model of history--and embark on a desirable and outstanding trip of America’s hidden previous.
This tell-all instruction manual is your individual advisor to the secret-laden humans, locations, and issues of our nice state, together with:
Sign-filled nationwide treasures in museums from coast to coast
Ancient mysteries of our such a lot usual towns, landmarks, and parks
Hotbeds of present Masonic, Kabbalistic, and Rosicrucian job
Freemason-planned structure of Boston, ny, Philadelphia, and Washington, D. C.
Covert golf equipment, societies, and institutions of the ultra-rich and powerful
From the U. S. Capitol in Washington, D. C. , to the Institute of Noetic Sciences in Petaluma, California, this e-book is all you must detect the real nature of the oldest republic on Earth--past, current, and destiny!
Edited by means of Michael E. Smith and Frances F. BerdanAnthropology and ArchaeologyThe previous twenty years have obvious an explosion of study on Postclassic Mesoamerican societies. during this bold new quantity, the editors and individuals search to provide a whole photo of the center and past due Postclassic interval (ca.
- Power Realignments in Asia: China, India and the United States
- Presidential motorcade schematic listing, November 22, 1963, Dallas, Texas
- America's Fastest Growing Jobs: Detailed Information on the 141 Fastest Growing Jobs in Our Economy (America's Fastest Growing Jobs)
- Organizing the World: The United States and Regional Cooperation in Asia and Europe
- The smoking gods: Tobacco in Maya art, history, and religion
- Wealth Accumulation and Communities of Color in the United States: Current Issues
Additional info for An illustrated dictionary of the gods and symbols of Ancient Mexico and the Maya
See a/so MORTUARY BUNDLES. caim an. " b u tte rfly A lthough re la tiv e ly ra re in an cien t M a y a a rt, b u tte rflie s com m only ap p e ar in the B oth th e M aya and C e n tra l M exicans id e n tifie d th e caim an w ith aged c reato r gods. exico, the aged TONACATECUHTLi, a t the g re at cen ter o f TEonHUACAN, w h e re or L o rd o f O u r Sustenance, presided o ver the they o ften display w ings, antenn ae, fe a th e re d Erst o f th e 20 day nam es, C ip a c tli, or C aim an , proboscises as w e ll as the 13-day TRECENA o f 1 C ip a c tli and fe a th e r-rim m e d eyes.
This aged p air, Xpiyacoc and his Macuilcuetzpalin, one of the Uve Ahuiateteo gods, Codex Borgia, p. 47. consort, X m ucane, play an active role in the creation o f people. By d ivin in g w ith cast tz/fe seeds, this couple instruct the creator gods how to fashion hum ankind. Xm ucane grinds the corn from w hich the first tru e people are m ade. 5ee a/so CREATION ACCOUNTS: D iviN A TiO N . a tl-tla c h in o lli A w idespread characteristic in ancient A ztec thought is the use o f p aired term s to re fe r m etap h orically to a single concept.
6ve nam eless days w e re thought to be par Spanish te rm ), or periods o f 13 days, counted 1 -1 3 , w ith each new trecena beginning w ith Tibe c ale n d a r ro u n d o r 5 2 -y e a r cyc/e the num era! 1. T h e 6rst day o f the trecena W hen and its auguries reigned over the e n tire 13- calen d ar w e re set in m otion w ith one ano th er, day p erio d , as d id one o r tw o gods. A ccording it took exactly 52 years o f 365 days, a to tal of the 260 -d a y calen d ar and 365-day to the C odex Borbonicus, fo r exam pie, those 18,980 days, fo r a given d ate to re p ea t.