By H. L. Mencken
The DEFINITIVE version OF The American Language used to be released in 1936. due to the fact that then it's been well-known as a classic. it really is that rarest of literary accomplishments—a booklet that's authoritative and clinical and is while very diverting reading. yet after 1936 HLM persevered to collect new fabrics diligently. In 1945 these which on the topic of the 1st six chapters of The American Language have been released as Supplement I; the current quantity comprises these new fabrics which relate to the opposite chapters.
The floor hence lined in Supplement II is as follows:
1. American Pronunciation. Its history. Its divergence from English usage. The local and racial dialects.
2. American Spelling. The effect of Noah Webster upon it. Its characters today. The simplified spelling movement. The therapy of personal loan words. Punctuation, capitalization, and abbreviation.
3. The universal Speech. Outlines of its grammar. Its verbs, pronouns, nouns, adjectives, and adverbs. The double negative. different peculiarities.
4. Proper Names in America. Surnames. Given-names. Place-names. different names.
5. American Slang. Its beginning and history. The argot of varied racial and occupational groups.
Although the textual content of Supplement II is expounded to that of The American Language, it truly is an self sufficient paintings that could be learn profitably by means of folks who have no idea both The American Language or Supplement I.
Read Online or Download American Language Supplement 2 PDF
Similar linguistics books
This ebook brings jointly contributions which deal with quite a lot of concerns relating to resumption, amassing facts from an outstanding number of languages together with Welsh, Breton, Irish, Scottish Gaelic, French, Vata, Hebrew, Jordanian and Palestinian Arabic. the subjects lined comprise the interpretive houses of resumptive pronouns and epithets, the featural makeup of resumptive pronouns, in addition to the syntactic variety of resumptive buildings and the character of A-resumption.
Пособие по английскому для учащихся 5-9 классов базовых школ и школ с углубленным изучением английского языка. Аудиокурсы английского: Bridge To English - Англо-русский говорящий словарь Экспресс-Метод Илоны Давыдовой Курс №2 - Литературный английский язык Е. В. Воевода, М. В. Тимченко -'A process english?
This quantity brings jointly a range of articles provided at 'Going Romance' 1999. The articles specialise in present syntactic and semantic matters in quite a few Romance languages, together with Catalan, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, and a couple of Northern Italian dialects. a good number of articles concentrate on negation, which was once the subject of the workshop at Going Romance 1999, yet different themes investigated comprise Wh- in situ, unfastened kin, exclamatives, lexical decomposition and thematic constitution, unaccusative inversion, and temporal existential structures.
- The Celtic Languages in Contact: Papers from the workshop within the framework of the XIII International Congress of Celtic Studies, Bonn, 26-27 July 2007
- Tout Va Bien! Level 3 Workbook with CD (French Edition) (Pt. 3)
- Armenian Language Competencies for Peace Corps Volunteers in Armenia
- Syllable and Segment in Latin (Oxford Studies in Diachronic and Historical Linguistics)
- Essential idioms in English (Dixon's English Series)
Extra info for American Language Supplement 2
The learners in the English classroom would take notes and often photocopy other students’ notebooks that summarized the lesson’s grammar rules in a way that they could be easily memorized and regurgitated in the final examination. One of the students reported that: The problem with the teaching method that we have been using is that it is just injecting the information into our heads and this has created negative results, and made the students hate the course. (Student 6, Interview, Lines: 17-20) However, the present study also found that the students wanted to be able to use not only grammar but also to put into practice the other language skills as much as possible.
Scientific Journal of King Faisal University, 8(2), 237-267. Alisa, A. (2004, April 28). About English teaching: The ministry is right. Alriyadh. Al-Kamookh, A. (1983). A survey of the English language teachers' perceptions of the English language teaching methods in the intermediate and secondary schools of the eastern province in Saudi Arabia. , University of Kansas. Almarshad, A. (2008, March 3). 75,000 is the number of students enrolled in King Saud University and 50 contracts with international research centres.
University of Leeds. Asiri, H. (2009, February 22). The worst 10 problems. Alwatan. Becta. (2004). A review of the research literature on barriers to the uptake of ICT by teachers. M. (2002). Learning foreign language through an interactive multimedia program: An experimental study on the effects of the relevance component of the ARCS model. CALICO Journal, 20(1), 81-98. , & Torpey, M. (2004). From the classroom to the selfaccess centre: A chronicle of learner-centred curriculum development. The Language Teacher, 28(6), 11-16.